Balancing pleasure and achievement in your life by Chris Skellet
The secret to happiness…
Did you know that universally there are two types of happiness? These can be understood through looking at two common life situations… Have you ever eaten a big piece of chocolate cake? Why did you eat it?
Because it tastes delicious and gives you a short moment of pleasure that’s why! This is the first type of happiness – Pleasure. Pleasure is based on short-term gratification. It’s fun, it’s indulgent, it’s the basis of humour, enjoyment and a sense of contentment. We live in the moment, we feel alive, we feel comfortable and soak up life to the full.
The second type of happiness is different. You might find yourself one day signing up to your local gym. Most of us don’t go to the gym because we enjoy it, we go because we have a goal of wanting to look good and be fit and healthy. Once we achieve this goal we experience the feeling of satisfaction – our second type of happiness. Satisfaction is based on the achievement of personal goals. We set goals, we achieve them, and we feel satisfied with the result. We value motivation,
drive and ambition. We climb mountains, win gold and there are always improvements to be made, things to learn and opportunities to explore.
We make lists, we work hard, and by the end of the day we are tired. The secret to happiness is by balancing these two elements in our lives; When Happiness Is Not Enough will show you how by teaching you to apply the Pleasure /Achievement Principle to all areas of your life. For if we fail to balance these elements a number of problems can surface…
If our pleasure becomes excessive we find ourselves drifting into a number of unhealthy lifestyles such as overeating and substance abuse. If our will to achieve becomes excessive this can result in stress, anxiety and restlessness. When Happiness Is Not Enough will ultimately teach you that we must aim to balance the excitable pleasure of the moment with the deeper satisfaction of achieving our established goals in life so we can lead the happiest and healthiest life possible.
About the Author:
Chris Skellett has worked as a Clinical Psychologist for over 30 years. Over the past ten years, Chris has developed a strong interest in leadership and executive coaching. Here, he has helped many clients apply the basic principles of living life well to the pressures of the corporate environment.
We have 5 copies of the book “When Happiness is Not Enough” to give away valued at $29.99 each. For your chance to win one tell us what makes you happy!
Competition closes November 30th 2011, midnight AEST.
You must be subscribed to the Beauty and Lace newsletter to enter.
[gravityform id=60 name=Winwith When Happiness is Not Enough]
Terms and conditions
– All decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
– Competition is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner.
– One entry per person.
– Prize not negotiable, and cannot be exchanged or taken as cash.
– Competition open to Australian residents only
– Entries are only valid if all required fields have been entered. No responsibility accepted for lost, late or misdirected entries.
– All entries become the property of Beauty and Lace. Entrants may automatically become a Beauty and Lace member and receive our newsletters, you may opt out any time. Your details will not be given or sold to any third parties unless required for claiming of the prize.
– We reserve the right to make changes to the prize and competition if required.
– Winners will be notified by mail or email.
Beauty and Lace is an online magazine for women. We hope you enjoyed this article!