If you’re new to the wonderful world of Chia Seeds, allow me to help get you appropriately acquainted.
What are Chia Seeds?
Chia Seeds are a food that has quite a history – coming all the way from the pre-Colombian Aztec times; chia is a plant that is technically a member of the herb family of mint. The little seeds were used by Aztec messengers to give them strength and nourishment so they could complete their long journeys.
What are the benefits of Chia Seeds?
Oh there are many! Read on below to see
- High in Omega-3 – naturally occurring and the highest plant source available (omega-3 fatty acids are good for a healthy complexion, if you’re like me and vain enough to try it solely for that purpose)
- Contains essential minerals – phosphorous, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc, iron
- Contains vitamins A, B12 and C
- A source of dietary fibre and protein
- Are flavourless so won’t interfere with whatever you choose to add them with
- Are gluten-free
- Easily digested
There are two different types of chia seeds – black and white – but in nutritional value they’re basically the same, the colour being the only notable difference.
Chia Seeds are easy to add to your everyday diet and provide you with a boost of nutrition, you can include them by –
- – Sprinkle onto cereal, muesli, yogurt, stir into warm porridge
- – Sprinkle onto salads
- – Add them into smoothies
- Grind them and add to your baking recipes – or add them whole. Think cakes, pancakes, muffins, omelettes…
- Include them in stir-fry’s
Many people also create “chia gel” which is simply chia seeds soaked in water – this is a preferred method because it softens the seeds and makes it easier to add too recipes. It can also be used as an egg re-placer – one tablespoon of chia seeds mixed/soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 15 minutes equals to one egg.
Have you tried chia seeds before? If so, how do you use them? I’d love to know!
RRP – Loving Earth Chia Seeds (my current brand) $9.90 for 250 grams
Stockists – www.lovingearth.net and all good health food stores
A lady with a love for words and all things bright, sweet and wonderful.